Maybe you got married—or divorced. Perhaps a nanny moved in, or your son or daughter moved out. When major life changes like this happen, it’s time to look at your insurance policy. If you need to add or remove someone, here’s what you need to know.

Who must be listed on your policy?

Car Insurance

For car insurance, you must list all people in your household. Your list will include family members but also a roommate, relative or nanny who lives with you. They are added because they live with you, not because they drive your car. It varies from state to state but you may be able to exclude those individuals who won’t drive your car.

  • Excluded from rating: If a person meets underwriting guidelines and has coverage elsewhere, they will be listed on the policy but excluded from a rating. That means no premium will be charged for them.
  • Excluded from coverage: If the person has an unacceptable driving record, they will not meet underwriting guidelines and will be excluded from coverage. A signed document is usually required.

Some states do not allow you to exclude any drivers, and others will not allow exclusions of drivers who are acceptable. Still other states will not allow the exclusion of a family member or spouse. For details on excluding someone from your policy, see the section on removing someone from your policy.

Homeowner’s Insurance

For homeowner’s insurance, the policy must be in the name of the person who owns the home. That person’s name is listed on the title. If another person, spouse or not, has their name on the deed/title and they live in the home, they will be added as a named insured.


Adding someone to a car insurance policy

You can either call your insurance company or log into your account online to add a person to your policy. You will need their:

  • Name and date of birth
  • Driver’s license or permit
  • VIN for the vehicle(s) that they are driving
  • Number of years that they have been driving
  • Driving record, including any accidents or violations

Your insurer will then give you a cost quote for the additional driver. Ask your insurer for ways to save money while bundling or with other discounts.


Removing someone from a car insurance policy

If someone on your policy no longer lives with you and/or no longer drives your car, that’s a good time to remove them.

  • You will need to provide proof that the individual no longer lives with you.
  • If your loved one has passed away, you will need to provide the death certificate.
  • If the person still lives with you, your insurer may require you to keep them on the policy or show proof of their own insurance.

Special situation: child away at school

If your child is away at school, and you are expecting that child to return for breaks, this is not the time to remove him/her. If your child has a car that will be kept at home and not driven while he/she is at school, ask your insurance company whether you qualify for a discounted rate. If your child is over 100 miles away without a car, you may receive a discount.

Children away at school are automatically covered by your policy, so you are not able to remove them. However, as your children age and move out, that will change. When should you remove your child from your policy? It really depends upon your unique situation and needs. While there is technically no age limit for children on a policy, many insurance companies require children get their own policy once they are no longer a dependent, even if they are still living with the insured.

Excluding a driver vs. removing a driver:

Some insurance carriers allow you to exclude a driver, even if they live with you. Excluding a driver means that they will not be covered while driving any vehicles. You may be able to exclude a driver for an unacceptable driving record, and therefore reduce your premium. Note that there will be no coverage of that person driving your car even in an emergency, and if that person is discovered to be driving your car, your insurer may decide to increase your premiums or decline to renew your policy. It’s important to note that if the excluded driver does drive and has an accident, you, the insured, will be responsible for paying for all the damages/injuries out-of-pocket. That includes any damages/injuries that occur if they are driving someone else’s car too.


Adding someone to a homeowner’s policy

The homeowner’s policy is held by the person or people whose names are on the title/deed of the home.

  • You may add your spouse as a named insured on your policy if they are on the title/deed. Depending upon your spouse’s claim history, note that this could raise your rate.
  • If you’re not married but living together, and the non-married partner’s name is on the deed/title, you may add them as a named insured.
  • You may want to adjust personal property coverage if your new spouse has items that increase the value above what is currently on your policy.
  • You must be named on the policy to file a claim.


Removing someone from a homeowner’s policy

If you are the primary homeowner listed on the policy, you may remove someone from your policy. Traditionally, this happens during a separation or divorce. A homeowner’s policy can be maintained during a separation, but should be changed as soon as the divorce is finalized. At California Casualty, we typically wait until the divorce is final and/or the policy renewal date to move property policies from one account to another.

  • Only a named insured on the policy is authorized to make changes. Ideally, the changes should follow the separation agreement.
  • The effective date the change takes place depends upon your policy.
  • The spouse who moves out, but is still on the deed, should be named as an additional insured.
  • Your homeowner’s policy should be listed under whomever keeps the house.


Adding or removing someone to a renter’s policy

You’re often able to add coverage for a partner or roommate to your renter’s policy if they move in. There are three main ways to do this.

  • You can add coverage for a roommate for an additional cost. You can do this on a homeowner’s and renter’s endorsement called “Other Member of Your Household.”  Some states do not charge a premium for this. You can remove this person at any time, with no notice given to them.
  • Unless you are married, you cannot add a significant other as a named insured.
  • You can ask the person to get their own policy. Separate policies mean each of you has the full amount of liability coverage if you cause a loss.


Having the right coverage gives you peace of mind. Make sure you are protecting your greatest investments.


This article is furnished by California Casualty, providing auto and home insurance to educators, law enforcement officers, firefighters, and nurses. Get a quote at 1.866.704.8614 or

California Casualty

Pin It on Pinterest