It’s December and the holiday season is quickly approaching! That means an abundance of packages are going to be arriving at homes across the country from now until Christmas Day. Unfortunately, that also means there is also going to be an abundance of thieves waiting for the perfect moment to snatch those packages up and claim them for their own.
Porch Pirates are the real deal, and if you think you are secure just because you know and trust your neighbors, think again. Almost 26 million Americans say they have had a package stolen from their home during the holidays. That is about 8% of the population!
It could happen in any neighborhood, in fact, most instances involve strangers following delivery vehicles or driving through neighborhoods, that are not theirs, and stealing packages from porches and doorsteps.
So what can you do to protect the surplus of online gifts that will soon be arriving at your door?
Here are some tips to avoid Porch Pirates.
- Schedule deliveries for times you will be home, to your workplace, or an alternative address like a close relative’s home or an Amazon Locker. Some police stations and grocery stores even offer residents the opportunity to send holiday packages to their office for pick up!
- Install a security camera, or use a video doorbell, like Ring or Google Nest, so you can monitor your front porch.
- Leave the carrier specific instructions on where to drop off your package. Choose an area that is tucked away and cannot be seen from the road, like behind a bush, bench, column, or on a screened-in porch.
- Track your shipment closely online.
- Require a signature for drop off.
- Request a delivery confirmation from the carrier once your package arrives.
Porch Pirates are very sneaky, and often strike in broad daylight. If you witness suspicious activity immediately inform your local police department. If you are a victim, call 9-1-1 and file a claim with your carrier.
Have a happy and safe holiday season, from all of us at CalCas!
This article is furnished by California Casualty, providing auto and home insurance to educators, law enforcement officers, firefighters, and nurses. Get a quote at 1.866.704.8614 or www.calcas.com.