Imagine the heartbreak of coming home to find burglars have cleaned out your valuables or that a fire reduced everything you owned to ashes. Having renters insurance can help you replace all that you lost and get you back on the road to recovery. If you don’t yet have a renters insurance policy, here are some facts that might convince you to do so.
- Your landlord’s insurance does not cover your possessions. It only protects the structure: roof, walls, etc. Their policy ends where the interior walls begin.
- You probably own more than you think. From kitchen goods and cookware, bedding, clothing, shoes, electronics and other household essentials, most people underestimate the expense to replace those items. Imagine how much it would cost to buy new furniture, clothes, personal items, computers, stereos, and electronics if they are stolen, damaged, or destroyed by a fire, water leak or a broken pipe.
- Renters insurance provides for the cost of meals and other expenses. This includes a temporary place to live (like a hotel) while your place is repaired or rebuilt after a claim.
- Renters insurance gives you liability protection if someone gets hurt at your place. It pays medical bills and some court costs if someone sues after an accidental fall on your steps or is bitten by your dog.
- For the protection it offers, renters coverage is very affordable. The Insurance Information Institute estimates the average policy costs $185 a year, just over 50 cents per day. The savings from bundling with an auto policy can make renters insurance practically free.
Plus, a renters policy from California Casualty protects your items away from home – like luggage lost on vacation, a camera or computer taken from your vehicle, and TVs and furniture in storage. Each policy also comes with free ID theft protection.
Make sure you have the protection you need as a renter. Contact one of our advisors to get coverage tailored to your specific needs at 1.800.800.9410 option 3, or visit www.calcas.com/renters-insurance.