The rush is on to get everything ready as students head back to college. If yours are moving into a place of their own, don’t forget to purchase renters insurance to protect all the special items that make their new place their home away from home.
Here are some important reasons why it is a necessity for your college student(s) to have renters insurance:
1. College kids have more these days: books, bicycles, TVs, computers, tablets, gaming systems, smartphones, sound systems, clothes, bedding, furniture, and kitchen items. Replacing those items if they were stolen, damaged or destroyed in a fire could add up to tens of thousands of dollars. Renters insurance also pays for temporary living expenses, like a hotel room, while their room or apartment is being repaired.
2. Once they move into a place of their own they usually need their own renters insurance policy. Most students who live in a dorm have personal property coverage under their parents’ homeowners insurance.
3. A landlord’s insurance policy won’t cover your student’s belongings. The landlord’s insurance protects the building and only pays to fix walls, roofs, etc., not any of your kid’s contents.
4. Renters insurance provides liability coverage if someone gets hurt at your student’s home/apartment. It helps pay for medical expenses and other costs, like legal fees, if the injured person sues.
5. Renters insurance a great value. On average, it costs between $10 and $20 a month, or about $200 a year. That’s less than most people spend each month for cell phones or their cable bill.
Policies from California Casualty also provide free ID theft protection from CyberScout, adding another layer of security in our modern world of social media, data breaches, and online trolls. Now is the time to find out how little renters insurance costs, and how it can cover your student’s belongings. Learn more by contacting an advisor today at 1.866.704.8614 or visit https://secure.mycalcas.com/loverenters
This article is furnished by California Casualty, providing auto and home insurance to educators, law enforcement officers, firefighters, and nurses. Get a quote at 1.866.704.8614 or www.calcas.com.
Latest posts by California Casualty (see all)
- ID Theft Protection- The Worst Passwords - August 23, 2019
- College Students & Renters Insurance - August 22, 2019
- 8 Simple Activities to Make Back to School Night Fun - August 12, 2019