When something happens to your vehicle, it’s an unexpected and unappreciated disruption to your life. We often take for granted the convenience our vehicle provides – until it is out of commission following an accident or other covered claim.
That’s why you need rental car reimbursement. Rental car reimbursement, also known as rental car coverage or transportation expense, is a wonderful feature of your auto insurance. When added to your policy that already has collision and comprehensive, it pays the cost of renting a vehicle until repairs from a covered accident or loss are completed on your ride.
Did you know?
- Insurance will only reimburse you for the daily rental rate. Other expenses, such as the cost of gas or security deposit for the car, are typically your responsibility.
- The rental car company can bill the insurer directly if you choose one that partners with your insurer.
- Lower rental rates are available to those involved in an accident, but you must let the rental agent know that you are renting due to an accident.
- There are typically two types of parameters for reimbursing your temporary rental: a daily rate and a per-claim limit.
- Choosing the right amount of rental reimbursement is important. Some insureds may need only the minimum coverage amount while others may need more.
If you have a large family that requires a larger SUV or van to commute to work, school and all of the extracurricular events your family participates in, then you should consider a higher amount of rental car reimbursement. Also, take into account where you live. What are the going rates for a rental vehicle that would fit your needs should your personal vehicle be out of commission for a number of days? Be sure you have the limits that make sense for your needs.
An accident is disruptive enough; having the right rental reimbursement coverage will save you time, money and headaches while you’re getting your vehicle back on the road.
A California Casualty advisor is ready to give you a policy review, make sure that you have comprehensive and collision coverage, and check the amount you have for rental car reimbursement. Give a call today at 1.800.800.9410 option 3, or visit www.calcas.com/customer-service.