We’ve often wondered how they do it. We are talking about cooking for the crew at a fire station. Think about it; it’s hard enough preparing food for a family, but it’s even harder for a couple dozen men and women who might have to bolt at a moment’s notice. Any firehouse cook knows preparation and cooking time has to be easy, the meal nutritious, and it must be as good later that day or night as it was fresh out of the oven. We are not talking about the typical “5 Alarm Chili,” but quick, healthy meals that will nourish men and women in a physically and mentally demanding job.
While there are myriad recipe sites, we culled (we wish we could have tasted) through a half dozen to come up with these top 10 Firehouse Recipes:
- Ross Signorino’s “Rossome Ribs” (winner of Live with Regis and Kelly’s Coast to Coast Firehouse Cook-off), http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pork/rossome-ribs-firehouse-cook-off-winner/
- Runner up Tara Daniels’ “Smokin’ Pear Salad,” http://safesidesecurity.blogspot.com/2010/09/woodland-firefighter-tara-daniels.html
- Fettuccine with Ham and Chicken (submitted to thefirestations.com recipe page by Lake Jackson Volunteer Fire Department Chief Eileen Williams), http://thefirestations.com/recipe.htm
- Chief 53 Salad, also submitted to thefirestations.com recipe page by Snohomish County Fire Dist. #26’s Linda Larson, http://thefirestations.com/recipe.htm
- Mexican Lasagna from FireRecruit.com’s recipe page, https://www.firerecruit.com/kitchen/courses/810803-Mexican-Lasagna
- Firehouse Special Recipe submitted to TasteofHome.com recipe section by Darrell Alvord, http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/the-firehouse-special
- Firehouse Sweet Potato Hash on Yummly, http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Firehouse-Sweet-Potato-Hash-1040158?columns=6&position=1%2F8
- Italian Wedding Soup-Firehouse Style, also on Yummly, http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Italian-Wedding-Soup-Firehouse-Style-Recipezaar?columns=6&position=6%2F8
- Dan’s Smoky Vegetarian Chili submitted to Firehouse-cooking.com by Lt. Dan Chieffo of the Waterbury, CT Fire Department, http://www.firehouse-cooking.com/firehousecookingsitepages/recipearchive.html
- West Coast Jambalaya, submitted to FireRecruit.com by Capt. Mike Martinez, https://www.firerecruit.com/kitchen/courses/586887-West-Coast-Jambalaya
California Casualty understands that fire personnel work hard to protect their communities. That’s why we created the Work Hard/Play Hard contest, where one lucky first responder will win a custom Harley-Davidson FLHP Road King or $25,000. Don’t miss your chance; the entry deadline is October 7, 2015 with a winner announced later that month. The complete rules and entry form can be found at www.gocalcas.com/harley.
Auto and home insurance isn’t something that should wreck your appetite – contact a California Casualty advisor today to learn about quality insurance designed for firefighters with exclusive benefits not available to the general public. Call today for a policy review or comparison at 1.800.800.9410 or visit www.calcas.com/FireFighters.