As Americans hit the roads for the summer driving season, your vacation trip can be less expensive if you maintain your vehicle for the best gas mileage. Here are six tips from Carcare.org on increasing the miles you get from each gallon of fuel:
- Tune up – properly tuned vehicles can improve gas mileage by an average of 4 percent
- Tire Pressure – proper inflation can net a 3 percent gas mileage improvement
- Motor Oil – get a 1 or 2 percent increase in mileage by using the grade of motor oil recommended by the manufacturer
- Air Filters – replacing clogged filters adds mileage and improves auto performance
- Gas Cap – damaged or missing caps allow fuel to vaporize
- Fix It – getting a serious maintenance problem like a faulty oxygen sensor fixed can improve mileage by as much as 40 percent
The U.S. Department of Energy also has an entire webpage filled with tips on driving more economically and estimating the gas mileage of every vehicle on the road.