October is National Fire Safety Month – and we wanted to share some tips for keeping your home safe from fire. Thankfully, we have a lot of Firefighters (and some other really smart people) on our Facebook page – and I asked them to share their tips with us!
Here’s what they came up with:
- Keep debris and brush away from your home
- Always have a water supply handy near a burn pile
- Don’t leave burning candles unattended
- Create home escape routes and a safe meeting place, and practice them!
- keep dryer vents cleaned out
- test smoke alarms regularly
- keep fully charged ABC fire extinguishers handy
- eliminate extension cords
- turn ceiling vent fans off when leaving the room
- turn off the stove 🙂
- check for frayed/worn wiring
- keep space heaters away from flammable items
- don’t let candle tins burn too long
- don’t leave flammable materials near the stove
And last, but not least – don’t play with matches!
Thanks to all our wonderful Facebook Fans for helping me out!