If anyone deserves a supersized, overflowing stocking this year, it’s teachers. These heroes of the (virtual) classroom have been going above and beyond, keeping our kids on track and learning during an unexpected pandemic – no small feat!
Give them the big thanks they deserve by making this year’s holiday gift extra special. Personalize it if you can (ask your child if they remember their teacher mentioning any favorite pastimes, hobbies, or likes). If you don’t have much information to go on, practical gifts are always appreciated – especially by teachers and administrators who juggle so much every day.
Start with any clues your child might have, check out the list below, and then build from there!
1. Handwritten card or note – A thoughtful, heartfelt holiday card and message from your child will make their teacher’s year. These are often the gifts that stay with educators for years to come.
2. Gift cards – You can’t go wrong with gift cards. Target, coffee, Amazon, gas, Apple, restaurants, iTunes – the list is endless. They’re a super practical gift that will definitely get used!
3. TpT e-card – Help educators take a lesson planning load off this holiday by giving them a gift card for their Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT) account. Shop and send it in seconds here.
4. Office supplies – Besides needing supplies to keep classwork and lessons organized, many teachers secretly adore creative, whimsical, and cool supplies. Check out sticky notes, to-do list pads, novelty paper clips, themed stickers, daily planners, and more.
5. Customized stationery – There are all kinds of online services that let you customize paper goods and stationery items such as notepads, note cards, letter writing paper sets, address labels, pencils, thank you notes, and stickers.
6. Coffee – Educators may be one of the most caffeinated of professionals. How about getting them a gift certificate or subscription for a new roast to change up their morning ritual? If this one seems a little expensive, don’t worry a few bags (or Kcups) of their favorite cup of Joe should do the trick 😉
7. Mug or tumbler – Help teachers stay hydrated (or caffeinated!) all day long with a quirky, contemporary, or inspirational mug. Teachers are famously oftentimes mug collectors, so this is a pretty safe bet.
8. Fun, festive or teacher-themed socks – There are a million and one different novelty-themed socks online. These won’t break the bank (or break on the way to school with your child) and offer the warmth of the hugs that we can’t share today. Plus, sizing is a no-brainer!
9. Snacks – Teachers barely get enough time to finish their lunches – even ones who work remotely. So, you can never go wrong with snacks. Don’t worry, they aren’t picky – chocolate, popcorn, candy, chips! Let’s load those snack drawers.
10. A nice pencil pouch – A high-quality zipper pouch is the perfect organizer for highlighters, markers, pens, pencils, and correction tape. There are a ton of great designs out there too – good luck trying to choose!
11. A charging station – We’re all living on our devices right now – and running down batteries quicker than ever. Keep your child’s teacher charged for the day by gifting a portable charger, charging station, extra charging cords or USB power bank.
12. Tech gadgets – Make teachers’ remote work lives a little more enjoyable with gadgets such as an iPhone or IPad tripod, ring light, or universal cable.
And what not to get….
As you narrow your list, here’s a gentle reminder of some things to leave off of it. Though well-intentioned, the following presents either aren’t very practical or are gifted so often they end up collecting dust in closets or cupboards.
- “World’s Greatest Teacher” clothing, cups, posters, etc.
- Ornaments and other holiday knick-knacks
- Stuffed animals
As with all gift-giving, thoughtfulness counts more than anything else during the holidays. A little brainstorming with your child could well result in the perfect gift – and extra holiday cheer to fuel their teacher for the New Year ahead.
Happy gifting and happy holidays!
This article is furnished by California Casualty. We do not take ownership of any photo featured in this article; all photos have been linked to their owner. California Casualty specializeas in providing auto and home insurance to educators, law enforcement officers, firefighters, and nurses. Get a quote at 1.866.704.8614 or www.calcas.com.