You might be surprised to learn that school zones and bus stops are some of the most dangerous places for kids as they go to and from school. Since it’s been a few months since school has been in session, these safety refreshers can make this back to school season safer for our children:
- Be aware of school zones
- Pay close attention to all school zones along your route. Warning signs, flashing lights and speed bumps are good indicators that a school zone is nearby.
- Never drive distracted, especially in areas where children travel to and from school
- Drinking coffee, texting, talking on the cell phone and completing the morning routine to get ready for the day (applying makeup or shaving) are all distractions.
- Slow down and observe school zone speed limits
- Avoiding the need to rush by building in extra time can save a life. Slamming on the brakes is not the best approach to reducing your speed in a school zone.
- Be patient and expect increased traffic during drop-off and pick-up times
- Don’t get overwhelmed by the controlled chaos. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
- Avoid double parking or blocking crosswalks in school drop-off zones
- Always yield to pedestrians, whether or not they are in the designated crosswalks.
- Yield to buses at all times
- Filled with precious cargo, they deserve the right of way.
- Stop when you see school bus yellow or red flashing lights and the stop arm extended
- Drivers behind the bus as well as those approaching it are required to stop.
- Let students getting off of the bus cross in front of your car and wait to ensure all riders have crossed safely
- Stopping a good distance from the bus will help you to see the students and the students to see you
- Be aware of kids standing at bus stops
- They may accidentally step off of the curb and into your path. Be ready.
Nothing is more valuable than the lives of our children. These simple rules can prevent tragedies and keep our school zones safer for all.
TAKEAWAY: Find a great back to school safety resource at https://www.nsc.org/home-safety/seasonal-safety/back-to-school/drivers
Latest posts by California Casualty (see all)
- How Nurses Can Reduce and Relieve Stress - January 27, 2020
- Freezing Out Broken Pipes - January 24, 2020
- 5 Foolproof Ways to Stick to your New Year’s Resolution - January 16, 2020