Carbon monoxide (CO) in your home can be a quiet, deadly killer. You can’t see or smell it, but in high enough levels, it can kill someone in moments. CO is produced whenever any fuel is burned – oil, gas, wood, charcoal, etc…Typically, the amount released into your home environment from well-maintained and properly operating appliances, but still hundreds of people die every year from CO poisoning.
Symptoms of CO poisoning:
If you suspect CO poisoning – get to fresh air, and get an emergency room quickly. Be sure to let the doctor know you suspect CO poisoning.
Prevention is the best way to avoid CO Poisoning
- Have your fuel burning appliances checked regularly
- Don’t idle your car in your garage
- Choose appliances that vent outside whenever possible
- Follow all instructions on your fuel burning appliances
- Install CO detectors
- Don’t ignore any symptoms, especially if multiple members of the household experience them