Memorial Day, for many people, means the start of the summer boating season. It also means a lot of people will be out on the water…many of them novices who may not have a good grounding in boating safety.
Here are some good tips from Treadlightly.org to help keep you safe on the water:
* Travel only in areas open to your type of boat.
* Carry a Coast Guard approved life vest (PFD) for each person on board.
* Always operate your boat at a safe speed.
* Always have a designated lookout to keep an eye out for other boaters, objects and swimmers.
*Never jump a wake. If crossing a wake, cross at low speeds and keep a close lookout for skiers and towables.
*Comply with all signs and respect barriers. This includes speed limits, no-wake zones and underwater obstructions, etc.
* Make every effort to always go boating with a partner.
* Make certain your trailer is in proper working order and that your lights work and your boat is secure on the trailer before you travel to your destination.
* When trailering your boat, balance your load including items stowed inside your boat.
*Don’t mix boating with alcohol or drugs.