You’ve spent long hours preparing for your career in teaching. Research, studying, student teaching, creating lesson plans and interviewing can only prepare you for so much. Your biggest lessons will come from experience. We’ve gathered some tips to remember as you begin your teaching career.
Here are 10 things you need to know as a new teacher:
- Don’t wear your really cool clothes to school. You’re the teacher, not the cool teen trying to impress everyone.
- Make a connection with your students but realize not everyone will like you.
- Build professional relationships within your school. Watch others teach.
- You’re the adult in the room.
- Listen to advice and trust your gut.
- Expect to make mistakes.
- Empathize with your students
- Continue learning to better yourself
- Don’t let work overshadow your personal life.
- Always remember your motivation!
Being a new teacher will come with its ups and downs, but knowing that you are making a difference with your students is what makes up for it. You are going to do great!